tw telecom view
> The Convergence Solution: Simplicity, Efficiency, Affordability
The Convergence Solution: Simplicity, Efficiency, Affordability
July 16, 2012
Convergence is a major trend in many areas of technology, as we all try to do more with fewer resources. Convergence offers many ways to make communications technologies more efficient. VoIP, telepresence, and desktop videoconferencing eliminate or lessen costly trips. The flexibility afforded by Ethernet makes sharing and accessing data instantaneous and secure.
Convergence in the real world
The benefits of technology convergence are clear, and have many applications for organizations of all sizes:
- Collaborate real-time with virtual employees, workgroups, telecommuters, and other branches or data centers —across locations and time zones. This can eliminate need for more formal meetings, saving business travel headaches and schedule-shuffling.
- Reduce complexity. Why have multiple single-purpose systems when you can have these functions handled by one data network?
- Boost productivity. Convergence gives employees more ways to communicate, find information and interact with each other.
- Make the move to convergence in stages — one service at a time, such as replacing PBX systems with VoIP — as equipment becomes obsolete.
- Do more in-house, without relying on numerous outside vendors — leading to greater savings, efficiency, and flexibility.
Converged services must be planned with an eye towards reliability, security, and scalability down the line. Plus, quality of service is important: Having a variety of data types on one network is efficient, but requires that larger applications (such as telepresence) have full access to the bandwidth they require to run smoothly. tw telecom can help you set up the network you need for all your business demands.